This Thing is Sloppy
Currently, this article is trying to explain/teach everything there is to know about scripting in one article. Then it leads to other articles that explain the same thing. There are already plenty of articles with plenty of information. So, I'm turning it into a portal. The most it will give on something is a small summery, then link to the main article. Other articles will be updated to include information that goes missing here. --Anaminus (Talk | contribs) 01:26, 31 March 2010 (UTC)
- Good idea. Scripting is such a broad topic that it is hard to make it all fit into one page.--Gordonrox24 | Talk 16:48, 31 March 2010 (UTC)
Proposal for Update
I plan on organizing this page into:
- Getting Started
- An ordered list of 10 or so tutorials that can be read in order and give new scripters a jump start.
- New to Roblox
- A set of links and information for non-Roblox programmers to get going.
- General Information
- A set of links for in-depth information
- things like variable types, enums, class reference, functions, Lua, Studio
- In Depth Information
- Maybe this section doesn't exist because the wiki isn't targetted for in-depth articles (rather we'll put relevant details on the related pages).
What do you guys think? Is this the right place? --GoldenUrg 01:21, 2 August 2010 (UTC)
First 10 tutorials
- What Can Scripts Do? - An overview of what you can do in building (Vehicles, smoke, build tools) and what you need scripts for (abgs later sections.
- Absolute_beginner's_guide_to_scripting - first 4 sections, mostly (Script:No head)
- Your_first_script (Script:Hello World)
- IS:Making things happen - Introduction to Objects and Properties. (Script: Disco Floor)
- IS:Events - Introduction to events (Touched, Chatted, Clicked) (Script:Click Door)
- IS:Variables - Introduction to variables (Script: Animation Sequence)
I think that the functions are better explained in the function dump. We should reduce the list here to a "commonly used" or "most useful" functions list.
Also, I disagree with the statement that Delay(0,f) and Spawn(f) are different my tests show them to be exactly the same. -- GoldenUrg 06:08, 14 August 2010 (UTC)
- Why is error on this list? That's a Lua function. I use it very commonly to avoid incorrect arguments from being passed.
All programming languages use math.
If you can name me a single programming language that is actually useful and that doesn't use math, then I'll be very impressed. --JulienDethurens 17:19, 21 March 2012 (EDT)
- Assuming the increment and decrement operations do not count as math, then I believe brainf*ck is such a language. It's usefulness is debatable though.
- Your statement should say "All useful programming languages use math." --Anaminus 13:36, 22 March 2012 (EDT)